People mostly raise skin concerns when the air pollution level rises. But, skin damage can be caused on a regular day too, due to dust particles and toxic chemicals present in the environment that block the pores of your skin.
|| Monika Agarwal
Isn’t a dull skin and early signs of ageing a nightmare? Following a strict skin care regime has become equally important as maintaining a good lifestyle. Since the market is flooded with creams, ointments, shampoos it becomes really difficult to choose the right thing for your skin. The alluring ads distracts you a lot and at times you land up buying products that are not suitable for your skin or your skin type. Every person skin is different and so is the requirement. So don’t experiment with the most sensitive organ of your body and take opinion before changes or using a new product.
EFFECTS OF AIR POLLTION ON SKIN & HAIR
Exposure to ultraviolet radiation and air pollutants can cause multiple skin diseases such as hyperpigmentation, wrinkles, acne, psoriasis, skin cancer and more. Dermatologists have raised an alarming concern regarding the usage of a good cream and sunscreen to protect your skin. Infact when the scalp is exposed to pollution, it experiences sensitivity, discomfort, dryness or oiliness. The harmful gaseous mix present in the air may lead to extreme hair loss and may affect the hair strands causing split ends.
ROLE OF CREAMS
The major role of skin involves protection, regulation and sensation. It acts as a shield against germs and toxins. Also, creams aid in retention of moisture in the skin, making it radiant and smooth. Studies show that regular application of a cream for over 5 days had a protective effect against changes caused due to pollution.
HOW TO PICK THE RIGHT CREAM?
Perplexed about picking the right cream? Well, why not! With a plethora of options available in the market, it becomes a tricky task to pick the right one for your skin. The skin-type varies from person to person. And therefore, a whimsical purchase would not serve the basic purpose of protecting your skin. As laymen, we tend to purchase our beauty products basis the popularity of the item. But, it is extremely mandatory to check if the cream that we are picking has these key ingredients in the formula- Exopolysaccharide(EPS) Carnosine and niacinamide. This would make your purchase easier and convenient.
TIPS TO PROTECT YOUR SKIN FROM POLLUTION
- It is highly essential to keep your skin nourished because air pollutants cause a depletion of essential vitamins in the skin. Nourishing the skin with vitamin C, vitamin E can keep the immune barrier of the body healthy.
- While choosing anti-air pollution hair care products make sure it contain anti oxidants as it may help replenish your hair. You can also use serums to build a shield between hair and polluted air.
- Inflammation caused due to air pollution weakens the outer layer of skin. With excessive exposure to such toxin substances, the skin eventually tends to lose its natural hydration. Using an effective moisturizer is therefore a mandate. It would protect the skin and retain its hydrating capacity. Don’t apply any unknown chemicals on skin or hair.
- Cover your face & hair when stepping outside and don’t forget to apply a good sunscreen before leaving out.
- Follow the cleansing, toning and moisturising routine daily. Wash your face properly and remove all makeup and cleanse your skin. Cleansing of the skin will help to get rid of the impurities and pollutants. Apply a good moisturiser that will keep your skin soft and hydrated.
- Drinking enough water (at least 8 to 10 glass) is also a key towards hydrated and healthy skin. It not only helps in flushing out toxins but also helps you to keep your skin clear.